Saturday, March 28, 2009

On Writing

Haven't written in a long time. And i guess that's really my problem. I should write more. Not necessarily here on the blog, but in general. Lately i've had this desire to write. I have these ideas, i need to put down on paper, but then i'm just a little lazy. I don't take the time or make the effort to write. But i need to.

That being said, here's a new short play that i'm working on.

I call it "Don't Jump!"

Don't Jump

(2 is standing on a bridge, looking out, leaning over the railing. 1 walks by)

1- Don't jump!

2- What!?

1- What?

2- What did you say?

1- I said ... (sheepishly) Don't jump.

2- Why would you say that?

1- I don't know. It was a joke. I thought it'd be funny. You were standing there at the railing and ... (trails off pathetically) (pause) Sorry. Have a nice day!

2- No.

1- No?

2- No. I'm not having a nice day. This is not a nice day. And I don't think it's going to be a nice day!

1- I'm ... sorry.

(pause)

1- Is there anything I can do?

2- No. Just go ... go.

(1 turns to leave)

2- Wait! (1 turns back) There is something you can do, if you still want to.

1- Sure, what do you need?

2- (pause) Push me.

1- What!?

2- I need you to push me.

1- Why should I do that!?

2- I had it all planned. All decided. This needed to happen, it needs to happen. But now that I'm standing here ... I can't do it. I need you to push me.

1- No! I can't. That's considered murder, or at least assisted suicide, which is illegal in most states!

2- Fine then! Just go. Turn around, walk off there. I'll figure something out on my own. (muttering - I always have to figure things out on my own. No one ever wants to help me.
something like that)

(pause)

1- (stands there uncomfortably, wants to leave, but doesn't want to leave 2 there alone) Um .... why?

2- Why what!?

1- Why are you doing this? What could drive you to such an extreme?

2-Why do you care? Do you really want to know, or are you just morbidly curious?

1-I'm ... um ... Well, to be honest, I am a little curious. What drives a person to do contemplate such a thing?

2- Why should I tell you. You don't know me. I'm nobody to you, I'm nobody to anybody.

1- No, no. You are. Sure, I guess I don't know you. I mean, we've never met, I don't know your name . . . I'm John. (extends hand)

2- I'm ... Gary. (shakes hand)

1- Well then, now I know you!

2- (chuckles) Yeah. now you do.



And that's what i've got so far. I just don't know where to take this play, what i want it to say. I don't want it to be easy, i don't want to solve all the problems. I want to leave it sort of "up in the air" so that maybe i can submit it to New Play Project's festival in June.

We'll see what happens.

No comments: