Monday, November 5, 2007

Nobler in the Mind

So, after a long wait and much anticipation, here it is! The full version of my short play. Any comments or feedback on it will be much appreciated.

Nobler in the Mind: A Play in Two Acts

John Nobler

(enters in front of the curtain, crosses to downstage center)

Good Evening, and welcome to our theatre, our show, my mind. For I am John Nobler and I invite you all to enter my mind and look around, and see if you find anything interesting. I have prepared for you tonight a scene or two from my life, events that have shaped me, and made me who I am. I have fictionalized them a bit, but that doesn’t matter. I mean, what is the real difference between Fact and Fiction? Between Life and Art? Some say Life imitates Art, and others maintain that Art is an imitation of Life. Well, which is it? I don't think it's either. I say, Life is Life, and Art is Art. And if there is a similarity between the two, it is only because the Artist is also Alive, and he infuses his Art with a part of his Life and invites others to look at his Artistic Life and find a resemblance to their own.
Life isn't really like a movie, when you really think about it. But maybe that's why we like movies so much. We get enough real life out there in real life; we don't want to have to watch it when we go to the movies. We go to the movies for a chance to escape, for a chance to forget our own ugly, brutish, nasty, short lives, and a chance to pretend, if only for a moment, that life could be great. We long to believe that the good guys always win. We long to believe that the underdog can triumph. We long to believe that True Love can be found. And we are willing to overlook the small details; we are willing to suspend our disbelief. Because we all know True Love doesn't happen everyday. But honestly, we wouldn't want it to. Life is complicated enough without worrying about that.
And so, with those thoughts running rampant through your minds, we start our show. Sit back, relax, and enjoy it, just please don't fall asleep, Life and Art deserve a little better than that. Thank you. The stage is set, the actors take their places, and the play begins.

(Exits stage right, curtain opens, revealing the inside of a small chapel. It should be so set that the audience feels that they are sitting in the last row of the church, watching. The scene is a funeral, perhaps there are a few pictures of a young man, mid twenties. A preacher stands at the pulpit.)

Preacher

Dear friends and family, relatives and loved ones, today we remember and respect our dearly departed Justin Peters. This athlete, musician, friend, brother, son meant so much to each of us. His life has influenced each of ours in such a way, like no one else’s could. He was, unfortunately, taken from us all too soon. His life was short, but his soul was big, and his impact on the world, on our world, even greater. He will be sorely missed.

But we who remain, we who are left now find ourselves facing a dilemma. We must ask ourselves some very difficult questions. What is life? Why must young men die? Is there a God, and does He really care? But we are not alone in asking these questions. Mankind has asked himself these questions and similar ones since the beginning of time. And must we remain without answer? Are the Heavens silent on this subject? Will God not reveal Himself and His plan to men??

The answer is … He will and He does. We have the words of Holy Prophets, written in scripture to comfort our souls in such troubled and troubling times. From Isaiah we learn ….

(While preacher continues to mouth a few words, a woman stands up from her seat, turns and walks downstage. The curtain closes behind her.)

Mother

I loved that boy. Even with everything he did, I loved him. And now he’s gone. (Pause) They say your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. And I don’t know if that happened to my Justin, but it certainly happened to me. He’s gone, but I see his life flashing before me. I remember him.

(Enter Father, as if holding a new-born child, crosses to mother)

Father

Look, honey, isn’t he beautiful? Look at our son!

Mother

I’m sure he’ll grow up to be big and tall, just like his father.

Father

Just as long as he’s as smart as his mother!

(Exits stage R, A tricycle is pushed and rolls across the stage from Stage R to Stage L, Father enters following it)

Father

Look at our little speed demon go! He’s growing up so fast!

(Exits Stage L, reenters with a baseball glove, crosses to center stage where he catches a baseball thrown from off stage)

Father

Quite an arm that kid has! Catch this one, son!

(Throws the ball back, and exits, following it. Reenters, crosses to Mother, standing next to her)

Father

Well, I gave him the car keys, and he took off with some friends. They’ll be back later.

Mother

Will they be all right?

Father

It’s his birthday; let him have some fun with his friends. They’ll be fine.

(Exits Stage R, reenters with a camera)

Father

So, our little boy is graduating today. He looks so grown up in his cap and gown. Come over here son, and stand next to your mother.

(Mother puts her arm around her “son”, and smiles as Father takes a picture, perhaps saying something like “Smile” or “Say cheese!”. Father then puts his arm around his “son” and exits Stage L. Reenters, crosses slowly to Mother, and puts his arm around her.)

Father

He’s gone. The doctors did all they could to help him, but there wasn’t much that they could do. He’s gone. Our boy is gone.

(Exits Stage L slowly,)

(Mother steps forward)

Mother

Our boy is gone. (Pause) But I’m still remembering.

(Curtain opens, and she returns to her seat.

Matt

(stands up, walks downstage) I didn’t really know him, not really. I mean, sure, we hung out together some, played some video games together, were on the same team at school. But, he was always more a friend of a friend than actually a friend of mine, know what I mean? But still, I knew him, even if we hadn’t seen each other since we graduated. (Pause)

I still can’t believe he’s gone. It happened so suddenly, none of us expected it. But then, it wasn’t really all that surprising, either. I mean, the way he died. I think Barnes said it best, - When Justin died, the newspaper talked to all his old running buddies from high school, and Barnes told them he was so shocked to hear that he had died, but not so shocked to hear how he died, in an accident like that. Pete was always so full of life, trying to do a little bit more, go a little bit further, have a little bit more fun.

Having fun and pushing limits like that – it’s probably exactly how Justin wanted to go. (Pause) But definitely not when. (Returns to his seat.)

Louisa

(stands, walks downstage) So many memories. Coming back here, seeing everybody again. I wish we could all just sit around and talk about the old days forever. But it kinda seems wrong, though, laughing at the old stories when we’re here for Justin’s funeral. Everybody’s walking around so somber, they seem so depressed, and here we are laughing our heads off at Jimmy’s classic penguin impression! (laughs slightly)

You know, we’ve known each other since elementary school, Justin and I. We even dated. I had a great time whenever I was with him. He never failed to make me smile. He was just so much fun to be with. That’s why I don’t think it’s all that bad that we laugh and have a good time at his funeral. I’m sure he would have wanted it that way. Heck, if he were here, he’d probably be making the most jokes, and definitely the most vulgar ones.

Funerals are funny in that regard. I mean, sure we’re sad that he’s dead, that we won’t get to hear any of his jokes again, won’t get to talk with him, but aren’t we supposed to be here to remember him? And remembering him makes me laugh, is there anything wrong with that? I don’t think so. I think the best tribute I can give to my dear old friend and the boy that I loved is to laugh for him. To remember his jokes and laugh for him. So, Justin, if you’re listening, this one’s for you. (laughs)

John Nobler

(curtain closes, Enter from Stage R)

All in all, it was a nice weekend, considering the circumstances. It was kinda nice to see everyone again, to catch up, and remember the old times. It was great to see how much some friends had changed, and to see that certain friends hadn’t changed at all.

But we were all there to mourn Justin, to pay our respects, as they say. It was a sobering experience. To think that one of our friends was dead, and at such a young age, too. That’s life, I guess. The same moment can be filled with a million different emotions. So, how do we deal with it? How do we keep from exploding with all of these simultaneous emotions inside? I honestly don’t know. Maybe that’s partly the reason why I wrote this play. To allow me to deal with this. To allow you to deal with it through me, as well, perhaps. Is it working? (Exits)

ACT TWO

Curtain opens to reveal the exact same set, the inside of the church.

Justin Peters

(Enters from upstage R)

It’s a really unique experience – being at your own funeral. You should try it some time. It’s odd, though, to hear so many good things said about me. I’m pretty sure half of that wasn’t true, I’m not that good am I? But I guess it makes them feel better to eulogize me like that. And that’s a funny word, eulogy – from the Greek “to speak well”, well, they certainly spoke well of me. (Pause)

And I still don’t think I was really that good. I’ve had some time to think about that lately. I remember what I learned in Sunday School: that when you die, you stand before God to be judged. Well, obviously I’m still alive – or maybe alive isn’t the right word – awake? Aware! Yeah, I’m still conscious and aware of what’s going on, here. Is that what it is to be dead? Do I still have time? Time for repentance, or forgiveness, or … or anything? I don’t know, but I guess I have some time to find out.

(Enter Angelos from Stage L)

Angelos

So, Justin, are you ready to go now?

Justin

What do you mean?

Angelos

Well, you got to see your funeral. You’ve hung around long enough. It’s time to go.

Justin

Who are you?

Angelos

Call me Angelos, I’m here to show you where to go.

Justin

Oh. (Pause) So, is there a God?

Angelos

I can’t tell you that. You have to decide for yourself.

Justin

What do you mean? I’m dead now, aren’t I?

Angelos

Given the fact that we just witnessed your funeral, I’d say the chances are pretty good.

Justin

So, don’t I get to find out now if there’s a God or not?

Angelos

Is knowing whether or not there’s a God going to change your belief in him? Is knowing going to affect how you lived your life? (Pause) Honestly, knowing doesn’t change much at all.

Justin

(Starts to exit Stage L, following Angelos. Stops as he sees Louisa.)

Look at her. I loved her, you know. I really loved her. And now I’ll never see her again. I’ll never hear her sing again, or sit next to her late at night and simply watch the stars and the lights across the lake.

Angelos

Come on, Justin. Let’s go.

Justin

Louisa, I hope you have a great life. I hope you have fun. Please, remember the times we had, and not the times we won’t.

Angelos

That was beautiful. Well spoken.

Justin

Well, I guess I’m ready now. (Exits Stage L, just before exiting, stops and looks back) You know, I guess the Beatles were right. “Obladi, Oblada, Life goes on, bra, la la la day, Life goes on.” (Exits. Lights out.)

END




so...? whattaya think? Let me know, and i promise not to be too upset at the criticism.

-Teeps

No comments: